Welcome to Seattle's Log House Museum! This douglas-fir log structure built in 1904 shares the history of the Duwamish Peninsula from 1851... to yesterday.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Today when cataloging....


I am a sucker for pet pictures. OK. Some argue that pet pictures are not important for collecting since they are not people. But I do not agree. Pets have their own stories, and are a part of family life. Also their role in American society has changed greatly in the past 200 years!

So I came across this photo today, of Queenie. A pet pit bull from the 1920's. She lived with the Doty family in the South Park neighborhood, and was one of many beloved dogs the family had. Unlike many donors, Carlie Doty was meticulous in labeling her photos. The caption on the back is what sold me.


"Queenie, our pit bull and fox terrier mixed breed dog. Oh so smart and wise and deformed, my dog. Her tail was cut off before I got her. I don't like their tails cut off"




2005.39.065

No comments:

Post a Comment